Monday, July 13, 2015

Dress For Success


by Syndra

   Hello my beautiful bunnies!

As many of you know, a little while back I wrote a piece about finding a job. Well, I decided to touch back on the topic but of course from a fashion standpoint. Actors and actresses have it right, when they go in for a casting call. Look the part that you are wanting to play! Simple and effective advice, don't you think?

But Syndra...what does that mean for me when I am trying to get a job? Well what that translates to is, dress for the job you are going after. In secondlife more often than not, the adult industry is the job of choice for many females.

Recently, I sat down with a wonderful, talented and "...totally awesome." woman named Nyx(Sweetness Resident) ​ who is the Club Manager at Plush. Plush is an adult club that has been open for about four months now and as a hiring manager, I thought she would be a great person to ask about dressing for success in this particular industry.

Plush and other clubs like it are as Nyx (Sweetness Resident) explains, "...in the business of sex, so looks are EVERYTHING." She further went on to tell me, "...We now require mesh hands, feet and hair. If you don't have those three things, we can't consider you."

In an industry that is all about the appearance of their girls that is a very fair requirement to have. Before you even consider applying for any job, I suggest that you understand and do a little research as to its industry standards. That will save you the disappointment of not being able to be considered before you even speak your first words.

Specifically referring to the strip club and adult entertainment industry, I asked her what would be appropriate for potential employees to show up to the interview in; and if in an extreme example, being naked might be an option.

Nyx (Sweetness Resident) with a very charming sense of humor and a great bit of advice said, "...Hahahah I know we are a strip club but never show up to anything naked (laughter)." She clarified by 'anything' she meant any interview. ..."but since it is a strip club, you have some leeway. If I were to suggest something I would say to steer clear of winter coats and full body cover ups, try wearing something that shows off what you are going to be showing off on stage. It can even be a low cut top with form fitting jeans. Stick to your style but show that you know what sexy is."

Honestly, I think this is great advice coming from an industry expert. Hopefully this will help all of you bunnies out there when you are shopping or putting together an outfit for an interview at clubs such as Plush.

Picking her brain, I asked her a question that we often ask ourselves. Classy vs. Trashy. As the Club Manager at an adult establishment, I am sure that she's seen her fair share of both. .."For me personally I think less is more. I know that's a cliche but i think its crucial. Some girls have too much going on. Their makeup is super heavy , and their outfits are all these different patterns. And don't get me started with low quality tattoos. Tattoos can be sexy but when too much is going on it adds to the mess. Simple makeup, a nice simple sexy outfit and a light/small tattoo looks way better. You don't want to look like a crazy bag lady and that's how I define trashy....tacky." Nyx(Sweetness Resident) further went on to say, "..It all depends how to put things together. Like someone could pull off some of the negative things I said, you just have to have an eye for the line between sexy and trashy. But I also think it plays into personal style. Men like different things. Someone might get an instant boner from the tacky description I gave. (laughter)"

I have to agree with her, personally I think that you have to define what you think is sexy and what you think is trashy. You have to look at the environment you are going to be in and either tone it down or rev it up. Ultimately though, you have to be you. Employers are not looking to hire carbon copies; they want unique women to fill their positions.

I asked our industry expert if there was anything else that she wished to add, she extended a lovely invitation to come by the Plush club and see the girls and of course say hello. Nyx(Sweetness Resident) also sends a shout out to Magika for hair; Blueberry, KITJA, and Bueno; because ..."having a mesh body, fitmesh is a godsend.." Overall style she likes AMITOMO, Third Eye, Sweet things; and for accesories Pink Acid and PUNCH. She admits that she is a shopaholic and could go on forever.

Keeping all of these things in mind, here are a few ideas to point you in the right direction.

Mesh hands that I live and die by.



​These are the Slink hands by Sidden Murno. They can be found on the Marketplace or Inworld.

Each single style will run you about 450$L for a pair (Left and Right hands). Or you can buy a Muti-pack of styles for about 1,250$L. There are a myriad of appliers for this mesh enhancement as Slink has been around for quite some time and is in my personal opinion a must have for anyone these days. Slink also makes mesh feet. Those are my go to feet as well. They also can be found on the marketplace and their inworld location.

As for mesh hair, nearly every designer out there makes at least a few designs in mesh. I too love Magicka hair and you won't be disappointed if you go looking for something to make your avatar interview ready.




This one is called Listen and costs 250$L. It comes in a multitude of colors and I am sure you'll find one to express you.

I think that a sleek little number like this from Blueberry might be something you'd want to consider making an impression it. While it shows your goods, it leaves some mystery and; it comes in black. We all know there is nothing like our 'little black dress'.



​This costs 199$L and is mesh. Don't worry bunnies, its listing says that it works for classic avatars as well as mesh.

Keep an eye out for more 'Dress for Success' articles in the future. Much love and goodluck

in your ventures!
-Syndra

No comments:

Post a Comment